30 Jan Message from the President – February 2023
February President’s Message
January has been a busy month for FLAVA with our professional development workshop with Dr. Dali Tan, FLAVA Executive Board planning meetings, and our continued advocacy efforts against House Bill 2341. Many thanks to Sharon Scinicariello and her Advocacy Team for their continued advocacy efforts!
The FLAVA Executive Board is excited to announce that we are bringing back our Spring Mini-Conference! The Spring Mini-Conference, Reconnect & Reenergize, will be held at Washington & Lee University in Lexington, VA on Saturday, April 22, 2023. Conference registration will open shortly with regular registration for $40 and student/presenter registration for $20. Breakfast and lunch are included for all attendees who register by April 5, 2023. Onsite registration will also be available but will not include meals. The call for proposals is now open and we look forward to receiving your proposals!
The FLAVA Executive Board very much appreciates all the members who submitted feedback regarding our Fall 2022 Conference and want you to know that we truly value your opinions and comments. As a result of your input, the FLAVA Executive Board has decided to change venues for our Fall Conference. We are very excited about our new venue, the Norfolk Waterside Marriott, and look forward to welcoming all of you to FLAVA 2023: Adapt & Empower on October 12 – 14, 2023. The call for proposals is now open and we look forward to receiving your proposals!
Are you looking to grow your leadership skills and be a change agent for world languages? If you said YES, FLAVA encourages you to apply to be the FLAVA representative for the 2023 -2024 LILL Cohort. The Leadership Initiative for Language Learning was established in 2015 to “empower individuals to become agents for change, in order to foster a growth mindset focused on effective teaching and learning, and purposeful nurturing of leadership skills, all in the service of learners.” It has evolved into a two-year initial commitment (with participation in two LILL Summer Institutes plus collegial support and sessions during the intervening academic year) that continues beyond graduation through a lifelong leadership trajectory. All FLAVA members are welcome to apply to serve as our LILL Cohort 5 representative by completing the following application: https://forms.gle/W9fJQa6sqSu6mRYv6 All applications must be submitted by Friday, March 10, 2023 at 11:59pm EST.
It’s now time for YOUR help! It’s time to…
- Submit a proposal for the FLAVA Spring Mini Conference! Submit a proposal at:https://forms.gle/bqiFczWQ5NgHHDmq8 The deadline to submit is March 1, 2023!
- Submit a proposal for the FLAVA Fall 2023 Conference. Submit a proposal at: https://forms.gle/kDofZE1sR527yxzu5 The deadline to submit is May 15, 2023.
- Register for our FLAVA Workshop series. The next workshop is Thursday, February 16th from 4:30-5:30pm with Ada Morley. Learn about the workshops and register here.
- Apply to be the FLAVA LILL Cohort 5 representative. Applications are due by March 10th. Apply here: https://forms.gle/W9fJQa6sqSu6mRYv6
- Consider attending NECTFL 2023 in New York City from March 2-4, 2023. There are several scholarships available. More details are available here.
- Consider attending SCOLT 2023 in Mobile, Alabama from March 23-25, 2023. There are several scholarships available. More details are available here.
- Nominate a colleague or a college/university student for one of the many FLAVA Awards. The deadline is May 1, 2023! Nomination information can be found here: https://flavaweb.org/awards/
If there is anything FLAVA can do to support you or your students, please do not hesitate to reach out at any time. I truly appreciate each of you and all that you do for World Languages in VA and beyond!
With much appreciation,
President, Foreign Language Association of Virginia
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.