Awards and Nominations
FLAVA is proud to offer several awards that recognize excellence in the field of foreign language education and advocacy. Some of these awards are for teachers, and others are for those members of the community who support educational programs in our schools. Others introduce pre-service university students to FLAVA and offer them the opportunity to step into the wide world that is FLAVA. Listed below are the awards and links to the forms for nominations, which are due May 1, 2019. Please click on the name of an award to access the application form in Microsoft Word format.
- The David Cox FLAVA Award for Excellence in Foreign Language Teaching, K-12* –
This award recognizes a foreign language educator in grades K-12 who has demonstrated excellence in foreign language instruction and who may be forwarded as the FLAVA candidate to either the SCOLT or NECTFL Teacher of the Year (TOY) competition and perhaps eventually to the ACTFL TOY competition.
- The Marshall Brannon FLAVA Award for Excellence in Foreign Language Teaching, Post-Secondary* – This award recognizes a post-secondary foreign language educator who has demonstrated excellence in foreign language instruction and who may be forwarded as the FLAVA candidate to either the SCOLT or NECTFL Teacher of the Year (TOY) competition and perhaps eventually to the ACTFL TOY competition.
- The Helen Warriner-Burke FLAVA Distinguished Service Award – This award recognizes foreign language educators in Virginia who have made outstanding contributions to the profession.
- The Friend of FLAVA Award – The Friend of FLAVA Award recognizes individuals and institutions that have made a significant contribution in building a strong foundation of support for foreign language education.
- University Student Recognition – FLAVA will honor up to five post-secondary language students who exemplify a keen interest in language.
*For the David Cox and Marshall Brannon Awards, the nominee in concert with the nominator fills out the linked competencies checklist available at https://www.flavaweb.org/awards/checklist.
If you have any questions, please contact Jennifer Thomas and Maria Lourdes De Panbehchi at firstname.lastname@example.org.